Sunday, March 2, 2008

If you don't limp - later on

This is a follow up to If You Don't Limp

First, answering the most common question and something I should have included, jeans are better than shorts but not adequate for riding. Riding pants or leathers or similar would have helped out a lot. The doctor, also a motorcyclist, said I would have gone through leathers and still been scraped up, but not nearly as bad as I was with the jeans on. Once I get another bike, I'll be wearing something more substantial on my legs than jeans.

Next, the bike was totaled and is gone. State Farm cut me a check and the whole situation is essentially a wash financially. The cost of the parts to fix the bike was more than I paid for it, and with insurance cutting me a check, letting the bike go was a very easy decision.

I do plan on getting a new bike. Not quit sure what yet, but I have ideas. Still got some time until spring to figure out what to do. New, used, street, cruiser, dualsport... so many choices.

There is a decent scar on my knee, but I am all healed up. Every now and then I'll have some pain, usually if I end up on my knee, especially on hard surfaces. Given the amount of damage that was in the big gash, this is pretty minor. I have full mobility and I am happy with that.

As the old saying goes, if you get bucked off the horse you need to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get right back on. Well, my horse just happened to be iron, but that won't stop me from getting back in the saddle.

No comments: